All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity.

Robert Kennedy

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Worn out...

The past week has been a whirlwind. Actually, make that the last few weeks. I have been delivered (or taken to) lunch by a co-worker daily for 2 weeks which really spoils you in the long run. At night, I had various celebratory goodbyes to the point where I just decided that sleep was overrated. More drinks than I've had in a long time too. My co-workers sure did spoil me. From burgers to margaritas to cheesecakes to spices to all night ROCK Band sessions to lattes...I could go on, but just thinking about it, I'm exhausted. Crazy to be so lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful people for so many years. (And no, not just typing that because I'm sure some of them are reading this...) Thursday 5/19/11 was my last day of work. It still doesn't seem real. I feel like I'm just taking a few days off. Wonder when that will hit me. Terrible moment to say goodbye to all those people. Honestly the first time any emotion has come over me in this whole process. I guess when you spend day in and day out with the same people, you get a little attached. Even the heartless ones. (Yes, Andrea, that means you...)


Then the weekend came. Katie graduated from Cal Arts on Friday night. It was one of the most surreal graduations I have ever been to. No caps and gowns at an art school, just costumes and getups galore. It was too awesome. Everyone was so happy and it was just super fun. Standing for 4 hours wasn't 'fun' but it was worth it. It was a fantastic evening. After the ceremony the school throws this big party with a live band and a bar for all the students to have fun at and it was just a great finish to a great evening. Katie's entire family was there which was great because they have become my second family since I have been here. Spending the evening with all of them was a fitting end to my stint here in CA. 
No rest for the weary, I had to get up early Saturday morning to greet some movers (otherwise known as my friends) to move some of my furniture out of my apartment. With no time for rest afterwards, I headed over to Going Away Party #1 filled with theatre people. It was a great day filled with people who I've known for years at the theatre. Some who I haven't seen in a long time, some who I see daily. Even Julia, our friend from NY, surprised everyone with a cameo. The Morales' all showed up again just as tired as I, but were troopers nonetheless. It was a beautiful day and most of the kids spent their time in the pool so the adults could relax inside. Age ranging from 2 to 60, everyone had a good time and were grateful to get together. Headed to one last night at the Cock (the Cock-A-Doodle for non-locals...a bar that has been a staple hangout over the years) to meet up with Katie, Jimmy (her brother), Ethan and Steven. Steven is one of my favorite people but not what you would call a 'party guy' so he chose instead to meet up with us privately after said party. It was a strange five-some but boy it was fun. We closed down the bar and said our goodbyes. 
Again, with no rest, got up early and had breakfast with Katie and Diane one last time before heading out to Goodbye Party #2 out in Redlands with my dear friend, Deb McFatter. She decided to throw a small brunch for the people who lived more inland. There were only about 12 people there but it was sure relaxing and lovely. Jena, who has become one of my best friends over the past 2 years, was one of the guests as were Jeff and Ali, who are probably not only the funniest but one of the loveliest couples I know. It was an incredibly pleasant afternoon. I came home with full intentions to begin packing but I went right to sleep. 
Woke up Monday again full of good intentions. Instead, Ethan brought over breakfast and coffee and we were soon joined by Luis, Zach and Katie and her boyfriend, who enjoyed pilfering through my belongings that I couldn't take along with me. It's actually quite liberating to let go of so many material possessions. I enjoyed all of their company, however, used their presence as an excuse to not get a lot done. I know...terrible...
This morning, however, I got the main stress accomplished. I visited Car Max and sold the car! Woo Woo! They gave me more than I was expecting which is SUCH a relief. Just have to take it in tomorrow morning and sell it officially. And that's where I'm at...so I guess I better get back to packing instead of writing about doing so. And by 'back to packing' I mean 'start packing' but you knew that already...didn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment