All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity.

Robert Kennedy

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Hitting the Metaphoric Wall...

I have been here in Cahul for a week now and I've been outside maybe 3 days. Yes, the post training funk has arrived. I've been itching for some alone time all summer and now that I have it, I can't get out of it. Granted, it's been nice to have some time off for the first time in a few months and I've taken advantage of that and caught up on some TV online and emails. But I guess it's time to get out of my room and go explore this city.
The EE's (English Education) volunteers arrive this coming week so there will be more opportunities to see people. I think I'm still a little tentative to be out there on my own. I mean I know basic Romanian, but there are a LOT of Russian speakers and I just don't want to be caught in a situation where someone is yelling at me in Russian and I have no way of understanding. I feel a little better when I walk around with Jesse since he speaks language, and he's a dude. So I know that's a fear i have to get over so I'll take baby steps. Yesterday was my first day at the 'office.' Currently, Perspectiva is working on a program to educate the surrounding villages against human trafficking and discrimination. I'm not exactly sure what my role will be in this program. The office is in the local college and the organization doesn't really get 'active' until school is on session on September 1st. So throughout the month of August there will be a lot of me sitting around and watching. 
I miss my fellow trainees a lot. But I'm grateful to have Jesse with me. And on Tuesday, I get Holly and Maggie as well, plus Rachel, Brendan, Maria and Maryam are within a half hour ride away. I know most others are far more remote. So, I guess my relaxing time is officially over. As of tomorrow, I am going to get out and start learning this city. Since it's slow time at work I should take advantage of this time so that when winter comes, I'm not still stumbling around learning the geography.
In the meantime, I'm going to do laundry...and this is what I'm faced with...
And the challenges continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment