All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity.

Robert Kennedy

Friday, January 6, 2012

Happiness is...

So the majority of people here celebrate Christmas "old school" on January 7th which is the Orthodox Christmas as opposed to the Christian holiday. And New Years is on the 14th. Since some people celebrate the Christian holidays, the country basically shuts down for a month. Many travel, many come home, many just relax. I have been off work since December 14th and don't start up again until January 16th. 
I used this time to take my Christmas vacation to Vienna and Prague which was amazing if you've been keeping up, highly recommend both if you have the means, they are so choice. And few went back to the US. I don't think that is a wise move as going back to two weeks of full amenities and running water and the comforts of home and family, for me, would make it extremely difficult to come back. Not to mention the price tag on a plane ticket from Moldova. Europe is pretty cheap to maneuver around. However, some volunteers did do it.
Also, one of our staff members did. The senior staff in Moldova are Americans. Our training coordinator, Margaret, decided to travel back to Oakland, CA to visit her children and grandchildren. The day before Lyndsey and I left for our trip we walked by Margaret's office and she asked about our trip and shared her excitement about going to the US for a few weeks to see her family.
This morning, we were all informed that while visiting her family, Margaret suffered a brain aneurysm and did not survive. Everyone is in shock. 
During the summer, Margaret was in charge of our training program. She was an older lady and sometimes rubbed people the wrong way, myself included. But nobody ever wished her any harm. One thing that is comforting is that she was with her family and was extremely happy to be there. And she sure did love the Peace Corps and she loved Moldova. So I think it's a bucket of win for her.
The thing that is always strange to me is how people react to such news. I was not close to her but having dealt with so many deaths over the past few years, it does leave a pit in my stomach. Thinking of how I 'just saw her' and how quickly aneurysm's take peoples lives and life is short yada yada yada. And I go back and forth on the reactions. It's not my business but I know people who did not in fact like her who are now praising her saying she will be missed. So is it a fake appreciation or is it truly bygones now that all the pettiness didn't matter? I can never figure it out. But I'm going to go with the side that it doesn't matter now. Her life was well lived. She volunteered and then worked for this organization for the later part of her life so how could that be bad? She was a good person and dedicated her life to service and she died happily surrounded by her family. So for her, I guess she found her happiness even if her time came too soon. So reactions be damned, I am glad that Margaret lived a good life and was happy and that she will be truly honored here and back home.

1 comment:

  1. Bun găsit, întîmplător am găsit acest blog extrem de interesant și am un sentiment aparte de simpatie pentru ceea ce faci, pentru lucrurile frumoase pe care le fac cahulenii!
    Sărbători fericite și muuult succes!

    ReplyDelete