All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity.

Robert Kennedy

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Erin

I'm sure she hates this picture which makes me really happy...

My friend, Erin. I knew coming into this there would be a lot of goodbyes and they have officially begun. My friend, Ryne left last week for Chicago. He has been here in Cahul since I got here and has always been the 'guiding force.' He's gone now. Doesn't feel real yet, just feels like he's on vacation. I miss his antagonistic ways.
Then I met Erin. She is everything that I'm not, girly, driven, she loves UNC, healthy, a fitness freak, stylish, I could go on...
She also happens to be ridiculously smart, self-aware, she has a great sense of humor about herself and she is way more mature at 22 than I will ever be at 40. She was here in Moldova on a Fulbright Scholarship teaching English at the local university. She speaks fluent Russian and is admired by all of her students as well as her friends. 
I don't know why we're friends, I guess because we're so damn opposite that we complement each other. She reminds me of my sister and I remind her of hers. I don't know how or why we bonded, all I know is that we did. So now she is moving on and moving to Nepal with her boyfriend, Dylan and together, not to mention being one of the most beautiful couples ever, they will change the world.
Last night, we all said goodbye. She invited her students and her close friends over for a final sendoff. I could tell by the looks on her students faces that she had made an impact. They spoke better English, their views of Americans had changed, their opinions about political and social influences had been altered, even if they hadn't been changed she had made them think, in essence you could tangibly see the difference she had made. She had left a trail of success behind her and that was inspiring. She is inspiring. 
Then the cab drove away. Maybe I'm being dramatic. It's the 21st century. We have Skype, we have facebook, we have 37 means of communication and by no means is this the last time we will see each other. But that time in our lives is over. That time where we could call and say meet me for dinner, or come watch a stupid movie, or I'm in a bad mood I need a milkshake, or randomly quoting Overboard, Love Actually and Steel Magnolias..all those times are over. And that is why I'm sad. I'm not stupid, she's not gone forever, but I am sad that this time is over. But incredibly grateful that I got 6 months with this beautiful person. Nepal is the lucky one now.
Erin and Dylan...off to Nepal.

No comments:

Post a Comment