All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity.

Robert Kennedy

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Oh that's right, I'm a grown up...

Being constantly surrounded by post-grads, I tend to forget that. But I was incredibly fortunate on Saturday night to be invited to dinner at the Deputy British Ambassador's home. My friend, Lindsay, is friends with her and I tagged along to a dinner party. An actual, grown up dinner party. There were matching dishes, actual wine glasses, courses, classical music, it was very unsettling. And by unsettling, I mean amazing. I really miss this. I miss this whole scenario. It was so nice to have an evening not talking about where to go to Grad school, or maybe having to move back in with your parents or people constantly trying to prove that they are the smartest in the room and that their degrees aren't worthless. All those topics that I have become accustomed to and able to tune out as I can't relate or care less about them. I was at a dinner party with people who were successful in their careers, who wanted to talk about world politics and world issues, not in a challenging way as if to say "I know more than you" but an actual exchange of opinions. It was refreshing and exhilarating  We danced, we sang along to 80's songs, we laughed, talk about a much needed reminder of what I am and what I want. Exhale.
Lindsay and I.

Lindsay and I and our friend, John, from Scotland.

John and I enjoying the dance floor.

We are REALLY good dancers.

Me and my friend, Bill, from um...yeah I don't remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment