All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity.

Robert Kennedy

Monday, April 18, 2011

Dichotomy

I feel like I’m living a double life at the moment. I am spending my nights and weekends filling out paperwork and figuring out everything that needs to get done. And then here it is Monday morning at the office and I have to act like everything is normal. When inside, my mind is a constant inner monologue of all the things I have to do. I do have a little bit of ‘graduation goggles’ as recently explained on an episode of “How I Met Your Mother.” (Graduation Goggles is when everything that has annoyed you at school suddenly becomes endearing in your last few weeks.)
I received my confirmation from the Placement officer this morning of the acceptance of my invitation. She sent another long list of things to get done. Even though the paperwork is tedious and there a million little details to pay attention to, it is still very exciting. I know that the next 7 weeks are going to fly by. I fear my close friends are already getting sick of hearing about my plans but there’s really not a lot I can do about that. If people ask me for details, I’m going to happily give them. It’s fun now that nearly everybody knows and I don’t have to keep so many secrets. I still have to keep mum at work for another few days but after that I can speak freely. I have a lot of people offering to help and yet I don’t know what to tell them I need. It’s not even a control thing, I just think it’s all stuff that only I can do. I’m sure when it comes down to moving and getting rid of things, I will call on these kind souls for some assistance.
Task for today, getting passport photos taken and sending off that packet. Tonight, I’m going to have to start on my resume and aspiration statement. Since all of the paperwork was done for the domestic government, I have to create a new resume and aspiration statement to be sent to Moldova so they can get an idea of who I am and what I am bringing to the table. Since I love talking about myself, I’m not too worried about it. And it’s pretty easy to write about aspirations and enthusiasm at this point.
The next thing to tackle will be insurance. I will be covered medically but I have to look into life insurance and personal property insurance. I won’t be taking too much of value; just my laptop, Kindle and iPod but I doubt I’ll have enough money to just replace them so I’m leaning towards the personal property insurance. It’s not too terribly expensive. That’s this week’s tasks. That and my resignation on Friday…that should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment