All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity.

Robert Kennedy

Sunday, April 17, 2011


It's really happening. I was starting to think it never would but it happened.
I got an email at the beginning of the week asking for a final phone interview. I had heard that this would happen but it was nerve-wracking. I mean for the first interview, I was so prepped. I had interview questions, it took a long time to think about about my answers and I nailed it. This was cold. AND it was scheduled for 7am, not exactly my prime time to be quick on my feet. But I got up early and I was ready. 
The lady was extremely nice and asked a lot of questions but the answers came easily to me. I was ready for this to happen and she was the Placement Officer. It was go time. As the end of the conversation neared, she started to realize that maybe Asia wasn't the best fit for me, nor was Business or English. She presented me with an option of NGO. I had no idea what this was, but she explained that it was a Non-Governmental organization, what we would call a non-profit, and I would go into the organization and create and assist with community programs. I immediately got excited. This was what I was waiting for. I was hoping when this was all over to work with a non-profit organization and here it was presenting it to me. To top it off, it was in Eastern Europe. I was pretty pumped about Asia, but I certainly wasn't married to the idea. I could quickly adapt to the idea of living in Europe for a few years. She didn't tell me the country but she did tell me that I was formally accepted. Only hitch was, the departure date was the beginning of the month instead of the end of June. A year of planning my high school reunion and attending my godchild's graduation immediately went out the window. It was a little sad, but in the grand scheme of things, I knew I could deal with it. It was probably the most energy I have had at 8am in quite a while. I went into work and was ecstatic all day but still had to keep it under wraps. I didn't feel quite secure in resigning until I had a formal piece of paper in my hand. I let a few people in on the update and they were happy for me, but sad to hear I was officially leaving. It was a long few days waiting for the welcome packet to come. I had done some online research and figured out that the only countries in Eastern Europe departing around the beginning of June were Armenia, Moldova and Romania. I had a feeling it would be Moldova, but I had to wait. I had never even heard of the country of Moldova but immediately Google'd it and found that it was a tiny country landlocked between Romania and the Ukraine. 
When I got home from work on Friday, I didn't see the package and I was disappointed. I didn't want to have to wait until Monday. I knew there would be a lot of paperwork and the weekend was a good time to get a jump on it. BUT, when I looked out on my front porch, it was there. I was so excited and grabbed it. And there it black and white. I was going to Moldova...with the Peace Corps departing on June 6th. A year ago, the first week of June I was attending my father's funeral. This year, I would be embarking on a 2 year adventure. And in an instant I learned how you can so easily turn your life around when you pursue what you want. And I was happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment